Friday, February 9, 2024

Unusual New macOS Desktop Feature - and How To Turn It Off

For those of you who have updated to macOS Sonoma (version 14) and have noticed an unusual (some say "annoying") new feature, you're not alone! When I first updated to Sonoma I immediately noticed my windows would suddenly go away when I clicked on the desktop wallpaper. "Is this a bug?," I asked myself. But after a brief bout of research I came to realize that this behavior was intentional on the operating system's part. 

In fact, someone at Apple had the idea to make this the default behavior after you install the new macOS. Apple calls it "Click on wallpaper to reveal desktop," and if you find it as annoying as many users do, here's how you turn it off.

Go to the Apple Menu (the Apple in the upper left corner of your desktop) and select System Settings.

In System Settings click on Desktop & Dock.

In the Desktop & Dock pane go to Desktop & Stage Manager section and click on the menu next to Click on wallpaper to reveal desktop and change it from Always to Only in Stage Manager.

Now when you click on the wallpaper of your Desktop, all of your windows should stay exactly where they are. 

Some of you may find value in this new feature and may enjoy the ability to click on your wallpaper to reveal your Desktop, and to you I tip my cap. You are someone unafraid of change and willing to forge a new digital path! But I'm sticking with my numerous open windows cluttering my Desktop...at least for now.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Recent Posts